Barrie & Toronto Divorce Lawyer
Getting a divorce or legal separation represents a change in the lives of everyone involved, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. If you are considering divorce or separation from your spouse, having an experienced family lawyer in your corner will help the process go as smoothly as possible.
At Korhani Law, we understand what you’re going through and we will be there every step of the way to answer your questions and provide you with the support and guidance you need.
If you wish to terminate your legal marriage and obtain a divorce in Canada, the application may be brought to The Superior Court of Justice or the Unified Family Court. After a divorce is granted, your legal status will change from married to single. We can help you get prepared and ensure your rights are protected during the process.
Filing for divorce is not mandatory if you wish to split from your spouse and it is only legally required if one party wishes to remarry. There are three grounds that constitute the “breakdown of a marriage” that would set the stage for a divorce application. They include:
- A one-year separation
Some of the issues that may be contested include:
- Child custody and access
- Child support
- Division of property
- Spousal support
A divorce can be an emotionally and financially draining process that changes your life forever, so it’s imperative that you have adequate legal representation every step of the way.
At Korhani Law located in both Barrie and Toronto our family lawyers understand people get a divorce for a variety of reasons, and it’s important to note that every marriage is unique, so the specific reasons for divorce can vary greatly from one couple to another. However, some common factors that contribute to divorce include:
- Communication problems: Poor communication or a breakdown in communication can lead to misunderstandings, unresolved conflicts, and a growing sense of distance between partners.
- Infidelity: Extramarital affairs can severely damage trust and emotional connection within a marriage, often leading to divorce.
- Incompatibility: Over time, couples may realize that they have fundamental differences in values, goals, interests, or lifestyles that make it challenging to maintain a healthy and fulfilling relationship.
- Financial issues: Money-related conflicts, such as excessive debt, financial irresponsibility, or disagreements over financial decisions, can create significant stress and strain on a marriage.
- Emotional or physical abuse: Experiencing emotional, verbal, or physical abuse is a valid reason for seeking a divorce to protect one’s well-being and safety.
- Lack of intimacy or sexual compatibility: A lack of emotional or physical intimacy, including sexual dissatisfaction, can create feelings of resentment and unhappiness in a marriage.
- Substance abuse or addiction: Substance abuse problems, such as alcohol or drug addiction, can place a tremendous strain on a relationship and erode trust and stability.
- Growing apart: Sometimes, couples may find that they have drifted apart over time due to changing priorities, interests, or personal growth. The emotional connection and shared values that once held the marriage together may diminish.
- Unresolved conflicts: Persistent unresolved conflicts can lead to chronic dissatisfaction and resentment, making it difficult to maintain a healthy and functional marriage.
- External factors: External pressures such as career demands, family issues, cultural differences, or interference from in-laws or extended family members can strain a marriage and contribute to its breakdown.
It’s important to remember that divorce is a complex and deeply personal decision, and these reasons are not exhaustive. Each individual and couple have their own unique circumstances and reasons for choosing to end their marriage.
Contact Korhani Law Family Law Firm with lawyers in both Barrie and Toronto and schedule your consultation today. We are here to listen to your side of things.