Child Support and Spousal Support
Child support, spousal support and property division are aspects of family law that can be complex and challenging to find a resolution. Whether you need to pay child or spousal support or deserve to be paid support, having a reputable family lawyer in your corner to help guide you through the process will ensure your rights are protected and the process goes as smoothly as possible. And if you are in a position where you own property together and can’t decide on how to divide it, a skilled family lawyer can help you get the results that are best for you.
There are many different factors that need to be considered when it comes to child support, all of which can be made easier with the help of an experienced family lawyer. Some of the most common factors include:
- Amount of monthly support
- Length of time payments are to be made
- Financial disclosure of the paying party
- If there are any retroactive payments that need to be made
- The definition of a significant change in circumstances
- How the support will be paid
- The allocation of funds for future needs
- Extraordinary expenses
Spousal support is another issue in a separation or divorce that can be challenging without professional legal help. When two people have been married or living common-law for a number of years, the one with the lower income is recognized for their contribution to the relationship by Ontario Family law. Having a skilled family lawyer in your corner will ensure you pay the correct amount of spousal support or receive the correct amount of support.
Some of the factors that determine spousal support in Ontario, include:
- Will the support help a former spouse become financially independent through educational courses or retraining?
- Is spousal support required so the lower income former spouse can maintain a reasonable standard of living compared to what they had during the marriage?
- Will a former spouse suffer serious financial consequences because the breakdown of the marriage caused them to give up a career or not pursue promotions and other financial benefits?
- The length of the relationship and the difference in the level of income between the two parties.
Korhani Law Can Help
Our goal is to approach each situation with an open mind and compassion, to ensure your needs are met and the best interests of your children are protected. We want to minimize long-term conflict and family disruption so the entire family can move into the future with peace of mind.
For a skilled, cost-effective family lawyer in Barrie and the surrounding area, book a consultation at (705) 230-2550 or online here.
Request a Free Call Back
Contact Us For Free Consultation
Our Family Lawyers are here to listen.